Skip to Main Content

Home Ownership

Natural Disaster Introduction

Legal Aid providers may be able to help you after a severe storm, tornado, flood, hail or other disasters.

If you think you have a civil legal problem, please apply for our services by calling our helpline. You can find this information to the left of your screen. 

If you were impacted by the 2019 Flood in Arkansas, please call the Center for Arkansas Legal Services for direct services.

Attorneys interested in volunteering should contact the Arkansas Bar Association.

Common Legal Needs After a Disaster

  • Problems with contractors when trying to rebuild
  • Difficulty filing insurance claims 
  • Replacing IDs and important documents
    • Driver’s license
    • Social security card
    • Birth certificate
    • Court documents
  • Understanding your rights as a renter
    • Can you get out of a lease if your home is damaged?
    • What if you lost your job and can’t pay rent?
    • Can your landlord make you move to make repairs?
    • What if you’re evicted?
  • Preparing new wills, powers of attorney, and guardianship documents
  • Filing for FEMA appeals


Call the Center for Arkansas Legal Services (1-800-950-5817) or Legal Aid of Arkansas (1-800-952-9243) if you have a question or think you have a legal issue after experiencing a disaster.

Contact FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired.

Disaster Fact Sheets and Brochures

Links to Additional Resources