Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Social Security


You can replace your Social Security (SS) card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you may not need to get a replacement card. Knowing your Social Security Number (SSN) is what is important. You are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in immigration status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.



To apply for an original card, you must provide at least two documents to prove age, identity, and either U.S. citizenship or current lawful, work-authorized immigration status. If you are not a U.S. citizen and do not have Department of Homeland Security (DHS) work authorization, you must prove that you have a valid non-work reason for requesting a card.


To apply for a replacement card, you must provide one document to prove your identity. If you were born outside the U.S., you must also provide documents to prove your U.S. citizenship or current, lawful, work-authorized status.

Changing Information

If you need to change the information on your SSN record (correcting your name, citizenship, or date of birth) you must provide documents to prove your identity, support the requested change, and establish the reason for the change. A document supporting a name change must be recent and identify you by both your old and new names.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) may accept these as proof of a legal name change:

  • a marriage document
  • a divorce decree
  • a certificate of naturalization showing the new name
  • a court order approving the name change

If the document you provide as evidence of a legal name change does not give enough information to identify you in the SS records, or if you changed your name more than two years ago (four years ago if you are under 18 years of age), you must show

an identity document in your prior name (as shown in their records). The SSA will accept an identity document in your old name that has expired.

If you do not have an identity document in your prior name, the SSA may accept an unexpired identity document in your new name, as long as they can properly establish your identity in their records.


You may be able to apply for a replacement card online. 

You can use a "my_Social Security" account to apply for a replacement Social Security card online if you are:

  • A US citizen age 18 or order with a US mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses)
  • Not requesting a name change or any other change to your card
  • Have a Driver's License or state issued identification card from one of the many participating states or the District Columbia.

If you don't have a "my Social Security" account, you can create one today. To set up your account, go to (home page) and select my Social Security. 

If you do not qualify to apply online for a card, you will need to complete Form SS-5. You can obtain form SS-5 on the SS online Website at or by visiting your local SS office. If you are not sure where your local office is located, call 1-800-772-1213.

All documents submitted must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Take or mail the signed form SS-5 to the nearest SS office. Be sure to take or mail the originals or certified copies of your supporting documents along with the form. They will return your original documents. 

Providing Proof

Of Age

In general, you must present your birth certificate. If one exists, you must submit it. If a birth certificate does not exist, the SSA may be able to accept your:

  • religious record made before the age of five showing your date of birth
  • U.S. hospital record of your birth
  • U.S. passport
  • final adoption decree

Of Identity


The SSA can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age), and preferably a recent photograph.

Documents proving identity:

  • a U.S. driver's license
  • a state-issued non-driver identity card
  • a U.S. passport

If you do not have one of these specific documents, or if you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 work days, the SSA will ask to see other documents. Any documents submitted, including any one of the following, must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age), and preferably a recent photograph.

  • an employee identification card
  • a school identification card
  • a health insurance or Medicaid card
  • a certificate of naturalization
  • a certified copy of your medical record
  • a U.S. military identification card

Of Citizenship

In general, you must provide your U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport.

Other documents proving citizenship:

  • a consular report of birth
  • a certificate of citizenship
  • a certificate of naturalization