Skip to Main Content


Workers' Rights

Wages and Hours

The Arkansas minimum wage is $11.00 per hour as of January 1, 2021. 

The minimum cash wage for tipped employees in Arkansas is $2.63 per hour as long as tips added to that bring the wage up to the applicable minimum wage rate.

Overtime pay at a rate one and one-half times the regular rate of pay or more is required after 40 hours of work in a workweek.

Breaks of less than 20 minutes are considered work time, and the employer must pay the worker for those breaks.

Workers may contact the Arkansas Department of Labor (ADOL) for help at (501) 682-4500. The ADOL must keep the name of anyone who complains confidential until the investigation has been finished or unless a court orders the ADOL to release the name.

Workers who are fired by a corporation must be paid their last paycheck within seven days of being fired. In all other cases, payment must be made at the regularly scheduled payday.

If an employer owes an unpaid last paycheck of less than $2,000 to a worker, the worker may file a wage claim with the ADOL. This is also true for independent contractors. If they are owed less than $5,000, workers may file suit in Small Claims Court without an attorney.

Employers may not charge workers for medical tests or drug screens that they require them to take.

Employers may not require employees to have their checks direct deposited into a bank account. The worker has the right to refuse to use direct deposit.

The federal Family and Medical Leave Act may require your employer to offer unpaid leave for serious medical conditions of the worker or member of your immediate family. Learn more at the U.S. Department of Labor at (501) 324-5292 and the Arkansas Department of Labor & Licensing here:


Your employer does not have to give you holiday pay, shift choices, vacation pay, or sick leave.

Some employers do have to give you unpaid leave for serious medical conditions of the worker or family member.  Call the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage, and Hours at 1-866-4-US-WAGE for more information.

Employers having three or more employees should have workers' compensation coverage in case of injury in the workplace.

Workers wanting to make a claim for on-the-job injuries should contact the Arkansas Workers' Compensation Commission at (501) 682-3930.

Workers who are laid off or terminated may be able to collect unemployment benefits. To file for unemployment benefits, you can contact your local Employment Security Department office or call the Arkansas Department of Workforce Services for more help: 1-866-392-7284

Employers are not required to provide group health insurance nor retirement benefits. If these benefits are provided, the employer must follow federal and state laws.

Contact Information

Union Issues

National Labor Relations Board

80 Monroe Avenue, Suite 350

Memphis, TN 38103

(901) 544-0018

Income Tax Withholding Problems

Internal Revenue Service


to report fraud:


Collecting a Last Paycheck

Arkansas Department of Labor

10421 West Markham Street

Little Rock, AR 72205

(501) 682-4500

Report Safety Problems at Work

Occupational Safety and Health Administration

10810 Executive Center Drive

Danville Building #2, Suite 206

Little Rock, AR 72211

(501) 224-1841

Job-Related injury

Arkansas Workers’ Compensation Commission

324 Spring Street

Little Rock, AR 72201

(501) 682-3930


Unemployment Benefits

Arkansas Workforce Services

1501 Main Street

Little Rock, AR 72201

(501) 682-8030

Worker Education

Arkansas Department of Career Education

Luther Hardin Building

Three Capitol Mall

Little Rock, AR 72201

(501) 682-1500

Migrant Worker Protection

Employment Standards Administration

10810 Executive Center Drive

Danville Building, Suite 220

Little Rock, AR 72211

(501) 223-9114

Minimum Wage and Overtime

Arkansas Department of Labor

10421 West Markham Street

Little Rock, AR 72205

(501) 682-4500

Racial, Gender, National Origin, Religious, Disability, or Pregnancy Discrimination

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

820 Louisiana Street, Suite 200

Little Rock, AR 72201

(501) 324-5060

Family Medical Leave

Department of Labor

10810 Executive Center Drive, Suite 220

Little Rock, AR 72211

(501) 223-9114